A very cool Article on Dfest...

...from the article....
Autumn Shade
Autumn Shade @ D-Fest 07


"...From there to Capella to see Autumn Shade. At this point it was midnight, and I was starting to wind down. Hope I’ll have it in me to stay for the 1:00 am showing of RadioRadio, I thought. Autumn Shade is one of the few female bands showcased at DFEST. Lead singer Jes Lenee`, is a Tulsa treasure. In addition to playing keyboards and guitar, she also writes her music, and an Amazon.com editorial raved, “The fact that Lenee' calls Tulsa, Oklahoma home only adds to the mystery, for her music is much more aligned with the astral plane than anything resembling the Okie Plains.” Nice, Jes. Real nice.

Unfortunately, Capella wasn’t the proper forum for Autumn Shade to showcase their brand of alternative folk music. When I arrived, there was a sign on the door that said the A.M. show was canceled due to noise. I thought that was weird. When I went in, I found the bouncer at the bottom of the staircase who confirmed for me that Autumn Shade’s show had been canceled. However, looking at the stage, I saw Jes and violinist Sharla Pember setting up. I walked over and said something like, hello, so sorry to hear your show has been canceled. A startled look, a gasp of denial, and a quick correction to the bouncer fixed that fallacy. After an excruciatingly long sound check (that I heard afterward was because the soundman refused to turn up their volume), Jes sat down and began to play. Unfortunately, no one could hear her. Between the low volume of the speakers and the frat boys yelling in one’s ear, Autumn Shade was mute to all except a core group of their fans and friends who formed a tight circle practically on top of the stage area. Jes offered to do another show from her home after this one, if anyone was interested, but no one heard the offer. Autumn Shade would have been at home in a coffee shop or a restaurant/club where people were actually interested in hearing the music. At midnight on the last night of DFEST, Capella was a frat house party on which her concert was completely wasted. What I could hear of the music was haunting, strange, and very beautiful. So sad so few got to hear her. It almost seemed as though Capella was intent on sabotaging the show.

Autumn Shade is a bit on the edge, incorporating painter Derick Snow into their show, who paints canvasses during the set in accordance with the mood. Last night, the canvas was bright red with lots of sharp slashes throughout it.

1:00 a.m. I must be getting old. I really, really want to hear RadioRadio, Greg Hosterman’s latest project, but I also really, really want to sleep. I awake to stiff, sore leg muscles. Need a massage.

That’s D-Fest for this year. Hope to see you all here next time around!"

Comments