Wonka! and other Tales


Wonka!
Originally uploaded by studiosound.

A note: I wrote this message for my myspace account yesterday. I have the rest of the tale further down...

I am currently in the last days of rehearsal for the Spotlight Theatre's production of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. So I need your help! Come on down and support a silly lad in pursuit of one of the most insane characters I've been asked to perform as..Willy Wonka! The rest of the cast is really quite marvelous and my nice, cute girl Jes is also running spotlight...at the Spotlight!

Performance Dates:
Friday, Feb 24, at 7:30p.m.
Saturday, Feb 25 at 2p.m.
Sunday, Feb 26 at 2p.m.

Next Friday, March 3 at 7:30
Saturday, March 4 at 2p.m.
Sunday, March 5 at 2p.m.

Oh and I'll be on the local Channel 8 news morning show on Thursday morning between 9 and 10 a.m.....

...and now on to today!

This is Thursday. I got up this morning and had plenty of time to get ready for my time on KTUL. I put together my things and started my car. Then I hopped online at my house to get directions to the studio.

At home we have 56k and sometimes is can be dog slow, which it was! It was actually so slow the images of the map wouldn't pull up! That's ok I thought, at least I have the actual directions. I looked at the page, the starting point was my house, the end point was the address of KTUL as I could see. So I left!

I drove and got on I-244, and was following the directions to a tee. Then it started getting fishy. The map told me to get off on Cincinatti...then it stopped on 3rd street!

My evidence

See the link above to see what I'm talking about. I should have double checked, but I didn't. I cursed the map!

Then I realized I had to call someone who could help me. I tried someone with broadband access, my brother Howard. I pulled into a local QT and put my two quarters in the phone and let it ring. and ring.

Drats! Voicemail! That was the last of my two quarters!

It may be news that I bought a laptop computer a little while ago that has wireless access. So I booted up and hoped someone had a connection I could use for a few moments to get the right directions. It was now 8:50 and I'm twenty minutes late. The show starts at 9a.m.

No access! More interesting language seeps through my lips and I drive around looking for something. Finally I find something..

Blasted Tulsa Metro Net! These people charge about $7 for a day pass. Pretty expensive for just one stinking map, but I'm running out of time! I look at my clock on my computer and notice my battery flashing underneath.

Rats. My battery is at 13%. And I don't have my power chord with me.

Working as fast as possible I rangle my way through Metro Net's login process. After I give them my card information, they feel the need to let me know I have to put in all of my information in again! And still more, after that they give me some crazy numbers to log in with.

Tick tick tick! Battery dying!

$7 poorer I find the proper address and realise Channel 8 is about 4 miles from my house! D'oh! I get back on the highway and tear up the road.

I have no time and my lips mutter things I cannot say again. I pull into the KTUL lot and not one space to park in...someone pulls out! I park. I run in.

I open the door and simply say, "Uh I er! *pant*"

A nice, somewhat older woman looks at me and says, "You must be Willie! We'd just about given up on you! You clothes are over there."

I forgot to mention that Sheila Alley, a good friend and the director of the play picked up my clothes from the Spotlight for me, so I was't dressed yet.

I pick up the clothes and run into the studio.

I see Sheila and Charlie (the boy in the play) and I see Sheila's lips mutter at me, smiling.

"I'm going to kill you! We're on next!"

I trow my shirt off and dress behind a camera where the weather man tells us about tornados and hail. Shirt, Hat, Jacket and I tie that tie in about four seconds. I button my jacket and I see the promo video from our play alead going. I'm panting like a dog, yet keep my face cool and relaxed.

The interview goes easily by. Charlie and Wonka get the chance to say hello and goodbye! At least the camera gives me a look-over during the session.

You can see the interview here:

http://media.putfile.com/Willie-Wonka-Derick

So there was my morning. And how was yours?

I'm due to perform in our dress-rehearsal tonight in front of an audience of children who've been invited out. I hope everything goes at least as well as they have today ;)

Thanks and have a great day.

Derick
www.snoweyes.com

Comments