A great saturday night

Even thought it's now Tuesday morning, I thought I'd tell you about my friend Captain Chamber's film festival, The Blue November Micro Film Fest Stage II. It was incredible! I was lucky enough to be a Judge for the film festival, I watched about twelve hours worth of film and I can't believe the amount of quality work that came out of Oklahoma this year. Asking Kelly and Man on The Side of The Road (by my friend Bret Mix) were two of my favorites. I'm glad we've got some talented people showing locals how a creative, well-lit, well shot production can be done.

The last night of the fast (Saturday) I was lucky enough to create a massive oil painting behind the incredible band Autumn Shade during the after party. A nearly hour-long set was barely enough time to finish off the work, created completely by inspirations from the music and atmosphere and little thoughts in my mind. I ended it by giving it to Captain and his fiancee', Fae. I warned them that it would take a week or two to dry, but that's part of the fun of it! My friend David actually recorded the show and I hope to make a DVD for friends and family.

I got a rather lovely note from a fan about the show...

"...one of the highlights of the weekend for me was seeing Autumn Shade play. I don't believe music was one of the things we discussed, but I usually lean towards alternative and heavy metal. When I saw Autumn Shade perform though, it made me think of these wonderful books that I've been reading for years called the borderlands (or bordertown) shared anthology series (edited byTerry Windling). The stories revolve around a modern day town where elves(and other magical folk) co-exist with us, and what happens because of it. Music and the arts are a big part of this existence with many clubs and galleries existing on Soho street. Autumn Shade's performance (especiallywith the painting that was done) seemed to take me to that place..."

Very nice!

Well, I don't remember if I've let anyone know my travel plans of late, so here we go:
Production got pushed back all the way to December 5th, about a month later than expected. Rehearsals and meetings have aleardy begun, so I'm going to leave on November 29th! Unfortunately, that means my airline tickets (non-refundable) had to be reused, sans $99 internet special. What that means is that I can afford to take one plane ride instead of both ways. So that means...Greyhound! Yessir, 34 hours of nonstop fun, featuring smelly mystery people and a ride beginning at 3:30 in the maw'nin!

Now I'm trying to find ways of entertaining myself for that long of a ride! I'm pondering trading in my oft-unused GameCube for a used Gameboy advance at Vintage Stock (a used game retailer), and buying a really neat GBA Movie Player from my friends at Lik-Sang, fine importers of strange Chinese game gear. This thing apparently plays movies I rip from DVD to my PC, images, mp3s, e-books, and another feature I shall not name, tee hee. All for $25! Incredible. That should keep me occupied and not thinking about all the bacteria and illness floating around the bus people :)

Oh and I bought Halo 2 (Xbox) the other day. I don't have much time for video games, but I was able to get the Limited Collector's Edition for a paltry $20 (I've got connections!), so I couldn't pass that up during that wacky midnight madness. Fun fun. Even more fun when you convince you boss to play fun-time deathmatch after work hours on a big screen monitor of a television station, ha.

Anyway, I'm sleepy so I'll go to my cozy little bed in my cozy little house and have a cozy little sleep. Ta!

Comments