From my life... (Yahoo Group)

(note: below are messages from the Yahoo group I started just a while back. I didn't like the layout of the postings, so I moved here to blogspot. But if you wanted to read stories related to the trip, I put them here...)

Hey guys, nice to hear from you! To be an extra, you need to get onto an extra service. Central Casting is the biggest in LA. It's easy to get work as an extra. You go right up to the agency on a Mon, Wed, Fri, give them $25 and they take a picture of you, you fill out info about yourself, then you call the hotline everyday and find work. Non-union get $54 for a day (anytime before 8 hours), Union (SAG, AFTRA) get $125 or so...after 8 Hours they pay 1 1/2, after ten its double time...I know people who excusively work as an extra to pay their bills.
Yesterday was quite a crazy day. I got some bad sinus problems before I went to work on a show called The OC at 9a.m. My nose was dripping, but the extra work only lasted for two hours. $54 in the bag. UNFORTUNATELY, Jes dropped me off to go do her extra thing, which lasted TWELVE hours and I didn't have my wallet with me, so I missed out on lunch, dinner, and I was sick!

So hungry, I slept huddled up on a bench in front of Barnes and Nobles, where a homeless guy kept asking for money I didn't have. On the plus side I found a half-eaten pie to sustain me, eewww.

I had no way of contacting anybody with my calling card (in Jes' car), so I found a payphone where I collect called Jes' Dad, who found out where Jes was. So I had a great night where I sat, slightly delusional, waiting for my little putt-putt car to come and pick me up at one in the morning. Jes sped to get me and we went to Denny's and I ate eggs and hot things. So I took some Sudafed and woke up feeling pretty good, even though I'm still stuffy.
Today I've got an appointment with the Critic's Corner show people, I'm writing script today before we start. So off to be funny!



Jeff Wrote-------I glad to hear things are happening for you. I'm anxious to read more about this pilot you're doing. On the extra stuff, how are you getting this without an agent? Is there much of this kind of work out there?



From: William Sims
Subject: Yep, I'd like hear more, too.

I'm with Jeff. Good to see you are getting parts. Anythingis important to begin with. Work from there. Would love to hear more about "Critics' Corner"when you can.

Also, be glad you are not on the streets. Being in a shelter is bad enough forme as it is. Had to get "permission" to go to a poetry reading tonight and still have a place to stay. Had to convince folk that writing IS a writer's profession. The only excuse for not being there is WORK as they define it. But, perhaps I should be more thankful. THEY ARE LETTING ME GO.

Also, I am still eating much better than in Oklahoma and the experiences of being homeless will improve my writing. I miss Tulsa for the opportunity to present at the Gypsy. There are writers here, but hard to make the connections. K.U. returns this weekand the influx of students should help. Kansas is clear as a bell, 70s, beautiful blue skyeverywhere, in case you miss the Heartland.

Oklahoma will be warmer, of course.

Peace, Bill.

Comments