Dear diary, from Derick Snow April 23, 2015 at 08:31PM via FB

I just blasted through the entirely enlightening, funny and interesting book about many things, "The Psychopath Test" by the ever-nervous Brit, Jon Ronson. Many facts and histories about why we now have so many mental disorders (and drugs) today compared to thirty years ago. My favorite passage though not funny, is illuminating. It’s very easy to set off a false epidemic in psychiatry,” he said. “And we inadvertently contributed to three that are ongoing now.” “Which are they?” I asked. “Autism, attention deficit, and childhood bipolar,” he said. “How did you do it?” I asked. “With autism it was mostly adding Asperger’s, which was a much milder form,” he said. “The rates of diagnosis of autistic disorder in children went from less than one in two thousand to more than one in one hundred. Many kids who would have been called eccentric, different, were suddenly labeled autistic.” I remembered my drive to Coxsackie Correctional Facility, passing that billboard near Albany—EVERY 20 SECONDS A CHILD IS DIAGNOSED WITH AUTISM..."
by Derick Snow

April 23, 2015 at 08:31PM
from Facebook
via IFTTTfrom Facebook

Comments