Busted Cars and Snowcicles


The new car
Originally uploaded by snoweyes.
So this last week has been quite interesting and fun. The days have been mixed with great joys, with bits of disappointments thrown in with ice, then thoroughly blended and mixed with trees and power lines.

Seven days ago my car broke down. The Maxima has taken me quite far in the United States. I've driven the heck out of that thing. Even with the breakdown I was blessed to have a good friend, David help me with getting the car towed to a mechanic. Jes allowed me to borrow her car, a spunky Honda Accord in the meantime. It was late friday, and the'd get back to see what was wrong with it Monday morning.

Or would they?!

Six days ago Jes and I were visiting our good friend Leah. The small bits of mist was coming down but not sticking to the road, for the earth was warm and not ready for such measures. We left at nearly midnight and found the roads fine, but the trees were already beginning to fall around us.

If you've ever imagined an apocalyptic disaster, there's a feeling inside of you that is quite gripping and powerful. I had that feeling, too on that night.

Once we got home out power was already out, but the phone was still working. We did indeed have a gas furnace but there is a special key that is needed, and somewhere over the last winter it had gone missing!

We called Jes' parents and came over to their house and fell asleep at around two. At 4:30 the power in Broken Arrow went out. So much for sleep!

The life of a refugee is not an easy one, but it sure can be fun. We travelled from place to place over the weekend. First Jes' parents, and then to another marvelous friend, Ty's house. We watched it's a wonderful life with another refugee, Leah. The next morning was Monday and I called my house. Apparently Cox's phone had finally died.

Once thing I learned about this is that I'll be getting AT&T after this :) Cox requires a power supply for their phone service to work. They do have a 12 hour battery, but after just a day that was done with. On the bright side, we live right next to a fire station, so if there was some emergency we'd have some place to go to. All of our friends with Cox have no service, but our AT&T friends do....

So with no way to find out if I had work, I just skipped out, taking the time to catch up with other friends and relatives to see how they were doing. Some people had no problems, but the vast majority were without power. Tuesday night we decided to take our chances at home. We've been there since I figured how to get the heat going.

Tuesday was a quiet day. Perfectly quiet! I don't really watch TV anyway and it was nice to simply live simply. The power at my work had finally gone down, so I still couldn't charge my cell phone. Even though I had no way of contacting others at home I was quite happy an comfortable. I ended up traveling to Gypsy Coffee House and sipping tea with the greatest of friends (Jane, John, John, Read, another John, Johnjohn..) and visiting my favorite hobo, Tony. He was collecting downed power lines for the copper! That's just great. So the night ended with goodbyes and I had fun.

Wednesday was another fine day. I decided to try and see if power at my work had gone up, and sure enough it had! So I charged up the cell thing and had the first semi-normal day. My Mom came over for dinner and other friends popped in during the day to see how we were doing. As long as we had a gas stove and furnace our candle-lit paradise would always be a great place to stay.

Thursday was a blast, even though some crumminess happened. Work was going along swimmingly, and more friends visited. On the way home from work, Jes' car kicked the can and I was stranded in an intersection for a few minutes. I managed to get home. I decided to catch rides Friday and so we weren't too worried about it. We ended the night wrapping presents for friends in the dim light, listening to jolly Christmas tunes on the hand-crank radio.

Friday I ended up riding my bike to work while Jes and her dad work on the car. I still don't know the transportation situation, but it will all work itself out. Someday the power will come back on, probably after the weekend.

When the trees came down on our neighborhood, the meter on our house was ripped off. The trees still lean against power lines and the meter is untouched. Apparently the landlord at our place is getting all of that taken care of, but I'll bet everyone is too raging busy to get it all taken care of near us.

I'm not too worried. I have my bike, and plenty of stores have food nearby for me to get to. I have my cell phone all charged up, and if I need anything my friends I'll call.

Tonight I'm in another paid murder mystery and have a ride for that. Saturday I have another, different show at a private party...

Have a great weekend!

Comments