Back in Tulsa!

Wel, It's Derick once again, and I'm back into the swing of things here in tulsa, back for a few mere weeks before I leave again for the insanity of LA!

I'm working back at the 'ol TV station I frequented a half a year ago. Seems they never took me off of payroll. Woohoo for that, I need money again!

So my life resembles a bit of normalcy, even though I'm a bit cluttered lately. I spent five months living with just a few things, and now I've got a houseload of things overwhelming my eyes!

Thanks again to everyone who sent a kind word lately through the yahoo group, I am happy to hear from you! I shall reply to all in this fancy little message.

To BobSpongeman, I don't remember who you are according to the email addy, but thanks for writing. I was in a show called How To Master Secret Work here in Tulsa, and as far as I know, it never really went anywhere. It was low budget and had to many pie in the sky ideas, plus the production people never really coordinated properly so it looked bad, poorly lit, ect..But I was awesome in it :P

Tom Collins! Nice to hear from you again! I was wondering what happened to you awesome people. I'm so glad you guys are doing well, with your book and Claire's own adventures. We should get together before I run away! I'll call you guys soon!

Amber! Of course I remember you! I looked in my yearbook and looked fondly back on my High School times. Where are you at? I hope you are doing great!

LA is a place to go if you have dreams of acting, but it also puts perspective into you life once you live in the madness. Is LA worth the stress just to be able to "make it"? I don't know, if I had my way I'd get a home as far away from that place as possible and just fly out when I shoot. Maybe someday... I feel very lucky to have gotten anything so quickly. I was told to expect to wait five years until I get a pilot. Ten to do character acting. I never even got an agent. I have friends who have been out there for two years and still don't even have an agent. It's sad how cruel LA can be, it has a short memory and temper that you cannot take personally... but good luck with not taking "We want someone who's just like you, but not YOU" personally. I just was in the middle of some incredible coincidences involving God, random turns of events, people in the right place, my Jes doing one thing that in turn allowed me to get my foot in the door somewhere else. It's all about who you know and I fell in with JUST the right people and circumstances. I'm that thin person on those weight loss videos that say I am not the average person who loses weight in small print.

Still, there's no doubt I love the situation I'm in. I am an actor, after all. And I may actually get paid for what I do!

I recommend watching a little movie called "Chump Change" (you can find it at Hollywood Video) to see how people actually go about their lives in that over-filled place that is the city of angels (but pretty far away from being heaven). It was made by my girlfriend's cousin a few years ago and is quite funny.

I also never realized how grueling the shooting schedule was for a production. Normally it's about 15 hour days for the lead every day for three months, four or more for a television series. It's difficult to keep energized when you are merely standing waiting for your part, I understand why stars just stay in their trailors all day. It's more exciting than watching the crew shoot a little scene over and over and over again! But I think if I played my cards right I can do this the way I want to. I want my life to be fun and worthwhile with a solid purpose behind it!

Back to work, see you all later!

Derick
www.d-snow.com

Comments