The Moral Of The Story


The Moral of The Story...
Originally uploaded by studiosound.

The picture you see will have it's meaning revealed further down. Won't you read along with me?

So I just got through a major part of a long day. As you may know, I am readying myself for a trip abroad. In order to leave our fine country, I have to get a passport. In order to get a passport, I need my driver's license, my birth certificate, a filled out form and 97 dollars. That said, let's start from the beginning...

I took a half-day from work to go to get my papers. I went looking for them the other day and had trouble finding it, but then discovered it folded up in a drawer set aside for my stuff.

Alas, there was a problem on that day, so. I first went home, because earlier in the week I accidentally brought my car title instead of my birth certificate. It looked very similar to me at the time! Turns out, my certificate was SOMEWHERE in the computer room. Just not in any drawer. It did lie amongst reciepts and bills and old checkbooks piled up on a box under a box in a corner!

I finally discovered the real deal and made my way downtown. I read on the website I could go to the major post-office to file, so I also took the opportunity to mail off some late-tax stuff. I already filed online yet still needed to sign some form.

Driving around downtown can be trying at times. One-way streets combined with one-way exits can grind down even zen-minded folks. I had to go 'round the block twice to get in to the post office. Once inside, I filled out the forms for my passport at a free table and waited in line.

...later...

"Next!"

"Hi, I'd like to mail this, so I need an envelope, and I also would like to file for a passport, thanks"

"Passports are at 6th and Denver in the brick building."

"Not here?"

"No sir. If that's all, that'll be 47 cents."

Hm, I thought to myself. I don't have any money with me. I thought I'd use my credit card. Now I feel abit silly making such a purchase. But I have the card and they do accept it...

Just then a stranger tell me I can have fifty cents and hands me two shiny quarters. Thanks random guy in a pink shirt!

I fill out the envelope and complete at least part of my task.

Now I'm off to fifth and Denver!

"It's sixth and Denver, sir."

"Oh, thanks ma'am!"

I drive down to sixth and Denver, pay .50 in the meter and go into the only building it could be, but it's not brick. More concrete and no brick to be seen! But I go in and ask the security guard if this is the right place.

"Yes sir, second floor. But you'll need check or money order. They don't accept cash."

"Not even credit card?"

"No. They close at 6 so you'd better hurry"

Ah, drats. I didn't have any cash on me. So I leave and go back to my car. I read the papers and see "...there is a fee of $57 and a handling surcharge of $30. The total is $97..."

Hey, I can go to Quick Trip! I drive down to 15th and Denver, and go inside. I get a drink. I wait in line for a while.

"I'd like to get a money order for $97 please!"

"That'll be $98 then"

I take out my credit card and offer it to him.

"We only take cash for Money orders. There is an ATM over there."

Aw nuts. This machine costs me $1.50. I wait in line for the ATM and throw my money away. I get the money order and heard back down to park at the meter for another .50... I walk another bock and head back in, up the elevator, and to the office. It's about 4:30. now. I head inside, and sit in line again. Then I see it.

There's a sign that says I must make two separate checks out to two seperate groups. Rats!

"So I have to make out two seperate checks? I can't give you this money order?"

"No sir, I'm sorry but you'll have to get two more money orders."

DRATS. I am a pretty free-flowing guy, but this has taken hours now just because thet couldn't take one tiny piece of plastic. At this point I would have accepted a $5 or even $15 surcharge just to flash my Visa. It all seemed so pointless to me!

I was beginning to go over clever, mean things to say to this office in my head. I could have done so many other more useful things and it ALL SEEMS SO STUPID AND I AM SO ANNOYED....breathe...breathe...

I'll just go home and get my checkbook. The one that was piled in the corner. I had it in my hand once already today. Why didn't I BRING IT?!?!

Breathe. Remember what my friend Dusty* once told me? When we were walking on our path in LA. About not worrying about these little things that won't make one difference when we're older, how everything happens for some reason or another? I am calming, I am calming...grrr...calm! CALM! Calm. Calm. That's better.

I get back to my house, once again and stuff my checkbook in my pocket. It's about 5 now. I've still got time to do this!

I hit the road and do all the things I did before. Rush hour is here, but I get beck to the meter and put more money in. I go back in the building. Nothing can stop me now!

I am in the office, sitting in a chair in the office. A black couple are being redirected to another building that has already closed. They leave and a Turkish fellow comes in and apparently continue a conversation they had before I came in. Apparently he had his passport stolen and like my earlier problem didn't have a check to pay. She says that she stops processing applications at 4:30 but she'd take a check if he had one. Then the lady that was processing looks over at me.

"Can I help you with something?"

"I was wanting to file my passport application...but did I hear you stop taking them at 4:30?"

It was about 5:20 now.

"Yes"

The security guard lied to me! Rage! DRATS! Calmmmmmmm..

Oh well. I guess I can't get what I want today. Maybe there's some reason why. Remember Dusty!

I look at the Turkish guy. He needs a check. I have a checkbook now.

"Do you by any chance need a check sir?"

His eyes light up. "Yes! I have cash. Can you write me one?"

"Sure I can," I say. "Maybe I was sent here to help you today."

I begin writing the check and the lady smiles at us.

"Well, since you're good friends, maybe I can help both of you before I go."

He needs a check for thirty but he only has $40 and I have two bucks from the money order. I give him what I can and he's thankful. We talk for a while as his work is filed. He's trying to get back to his country and he's travelled all over the world. We trade travel stories. We smile. We shake hands and I know why I had to be late. So I could do my work someone higher up than me sent me to do.

The nice lady took my papers and I got everything in order in record time. Everything went perfectly. Why did I ever worry? No need to.

God really does take care of everything even though we as humans can't see the story from our perspective on Earth. Everything, everyone is woven together in a nice, tighy pattern that always seems to work out in the end. Things happen for a good reason even if I can't see it from my angle. I relax and go along for the ride.

It is a lesson I won't soon forget!

I'm in The Drunkard This Saturday, so call 587-5030 for reservations. Heck, I'm in it tonight as well, so I'd better get outta here!

* Dusty Benhkin was one heck of a friend in Los Angeles. When we got there with no place to go, he offered us a place to stay. He took us on adventures, he showed us how to get around that city. When we left, we met him again a year later, he was travelling the road as a shaman. A christian shaman that slept in bushes and wore a cape that he made! He is definitely a must unique and special character that I've learned from. His attitude about life excited me!

Comments