Derick is back online with a tale to tell!

Derick back from the land of the Tulsa.

First off, my website, www.d-snow.com is frozen right now, so I can't access any email from mail(at)-snow.com. instead, you can contact me @ studiosound(at)yahoo.com for now. Also, please visit my blog on http://d-snow.blogspot.com. Let it be known that register.com is a big fat piece of poop. They froze my account and sent it off to some othersection of the company and I've been trying to get it back for nearly three weeks now! ugh.

Kids, gather 'round and I'll tell you what's been going on with a nice little story.

Once I got back into town, I had no money, and I haven't had any for about a month now. But I get my paycheck on the 5th, which is nice.

I was actually supposed to be back in LA on October 29th, but shooting begins for my little thingy on Nov. 7th. So I ask if I can delay my visit. Fortunately, the purpose of the 29th is for "auditions" for other smaller roles in the other segments, and I've already been cast in the majority of them. So I convinced them to let me wait until the 5th of November...which is when I get paid! So I have no money to get out there. Fortunately, I have good friends and I got about $60 cash to last me another week. I had an offer to get bus tickets, which I was grateful for. I didn't mind sitting FORTY hours in a bus with all kinds of dirty folks as is myself. Fortunately my dad (I have a story about him!) ponied up enough mony to get two $99 one-ways to LA and back. Yay! I haven't flown in years and I can't wait for that.

And now, let me tell you about my dad. (crap web page, I know)

Dad is a little crazy. he has taken many professions, including:

-Star of a kid's show on KTUL8 years ago in Muskogee
-Police Officer
-Drama Teacher for a college
(Then he quit and went to spartan to be an aircraft mechanic)
-AirCraft mechanic and pilot for Cape Smythe Air in Barrow, Alaska..
We then moved to Webbers Falls, OK where he wanted to farm and have an air strip. After situating us, he went off to Saudi Arabia to teach Arabs how to fly 747's. TRUE.

After that, he went off to Lima, Peru to work under contract for the DEA as a helicopter mechanic and drug fighter. While there he encountered a firefight (that didn't happen according to the US Government) where he had to kill mercs(mercenaries like Dad, except for the other team) that invaded his camp. He ran into the forest and escaped for days, trying to get to a city. He got hit by a booby trap and survived. The next morning he saw the heads of some comrades in his unit floating down a river. He found civilization 4 days in the jungle and was deeply dehydrated. TRUE.

We later learned that Dad actually had a $50,000 price on his head, as published in the Miami Herald...

If that were me, I would find a safer line of work. But not Dad!

He joined the Interpol (International Police), got his jump wings, and jumped out of helicopters to seize downed drug-smuggling aircraft. Want to know what his international number was in Peru?

007.

Want to know his operation's name?

Operation SnowCap. (my last name is SNOW!!!)

Yes, all true. I have the pictures and letters and even footage from Dateline and an episode of Cops in Peru (following the DEA).

If that weren't enough, he moved back to the states for a bit to work as an orderly at an insane asylum. Why? I don't know.

After that....He freaking went to north Africa and worked under contract for the UN! He was a mechanic, avoiding tons of land mines and AIDS and civil war. While in the UN, he had a gun but no bullets because of UN orders. Silly!

Recently, he moved back to Oklahoma to take care of my ailing grandmother. Once she died, dad stuck around and started a semi-normal life, eventually remarrying a great lady named Carol, who is a writer.

And now... I have another tale to add to the story! My dad got transferred to CHINA through his current work at Spartan School of Aeronautics! Yes, he moved to China while I was in LA. Unfortunately, he was the beneficiary of a terrible bacterial infection in a partuculary terrible place, so he's back here in Tulsa!

I got to see him two days ago. He seems quite well, oh and he also had to have surgery for his hernia on that day I visited. He was on morphene and was pretty coherent for going through so much trouble.

Once dad heals up, he's off to China again, so I'll see him before I go.

Did I mention he's getting a book written about his crazy journeys? Yep.

Oh yes, I'm going to Muskogee tonight so Jes can take some pictures for her new album. Her songs are sounding pretty amazing so far.
Autumn Shade will be playing at the Blue November Micro-Film fest on saturday, November 20th, so come on by , say hi and buy a CD, won't you?

Also, we are going to the Haunted Castle tonight! I can't wait for a good fright.

Well, I'm tired of writing, so bugger off.
I'm actually at work writing this, so I feel like I've accomplished alot today.

Derick.
http://d-snow.blogspot.com

Comments